School of Education
I am glad to welcome you to our Bachelor of Arts in Education (BA Ed.) and Diploma in Education Secondary (D.Eds.) education programs. These programs integrate the latest technologies to provide a very exciting new approach to training today’s most needed educators. The School of Education at LivingStone International University (LIU) teaches liberal arts that include Bible-related courses intended to develop the moral and ethical character of the teacher.
The program scope includes foundations of education as well as professional courses that are designed to enhance the effectiveness of the teacher and to prepare him or her for the emerging contemporary challenges of the education sector. Professors will also teach many specialized subjects from their various fields of expertise.
At LIU we believe that a liberal arts component enhances any program of study. We see the liberal arts courses as providing the underlying tools and context that enable students to more capably exercise their specialized skills in their major field of study. The complexity of today’s world demands that students be conversant in areas beyond their own field of specialty, and a liberal arts foundation provides the tools necessary for growth and adaptation in an ever-changing global society.
These BA Ed. and D.Eds. programs provide education based on integrity and Christian values that will produce ethical, empowered, and employable individuals. They are designed not only to give students knowledge in the area of education, but also to produce well-rounded individuals able to work and adapt in the ever-changing world of technology. These programs not only expose students to a variety of core subjects but also allow them to gain knowledge in various other disciplines within and related to their academic area.
The programs offer a range of academically balanced courses to effectively create well-rounded educators. The courses of study are dynamic in order to keep pace with the rapidly evolving environment of education, management, and service in both the public and the private sectors. The degree and diploma also develop the student’s practical teaching and managerial skills, technological skills, communication skills, and decision-making capability. The program incorporates training and practical experience in the form of case studies, projects, presentations, guided internships, industrial visits, and mentorship by faculty and experts from the field.
We expect that by the end of these programs the trained teachers will competently:
- Teach selected arts subjects in schools and tertiary institutions of learning.
- Demonstrate ethical and proper code of conduct as well as portray Christian values in the teaching profession.
- Design and implement education curricula for specific subjects at different levels of education.
- Design and use different instructional and learning materials in their teaching.
- Competently perform in administrative and leadership roles in various educational institutions as may be deemed necessary.
- Contribute to the socio-economic and moral development of the nation through the application of knowledge, attitudes, and skills acquired.
- Be technologically empowered for the 21st century.
- Contribute to existing knowledge through research and evaluation.
- Show readiness for servant leadership and be good community developers.
All eligible candidates should have and must meet the following requirements:
- Have sat the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) Examination or its equivalent and obtained the UCE Certificate or its equivalent.
- Obtained–in the current year or previous three years only–at least two Advanced Level Principal Passes, or equivalent, in approved subjects at the same sitting of the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) Examination or its equivalent.
Subjects Currently Offered
In addition to professional and liberal arts classes, the following subjects are offered:
- Computer Studies
- English Language and Literature
- Religious Studies
Teachers will have to pick any two of these as their combination of teaching subjects.
We warmly welcome you to join us,
Dean of Students, LivingStone International University